March 4, 2010

My online brand

The main reason why I decided to start this blog was the idea of building up my credible online brand on top of the Linkedins and the Facebooks of the world... and also of your own resume that you might use for job hunting from time to time. If you are passionate about something it is way more powerful to prove it by actually following it and writing about it in a recurring way  than by saying "I have always loved xyz".


Today I was taking a look at Fred Wilson's blog and his post "Own your online brand" caught my eye... and actually made quite happy (Fred is one of the most famous venture capitalists in the US and probably in the world). At the MBA Media & Entertainment Conference - which I attended twice in NY, both at Columbia and NYU - someone posed a question about the use of social media in job search, and in particular about employers' reaction to potential employees' online presence. A lot has been told about this, in particular regarding Facebook pictures and so forth. I have to admit that I am quite wary of them.


But what I really liked from Fred's post was the importance of building a "strong online presence" by managing and controlling your own online properties. This can easily be done by googling yourself. I have done so I can see my Linkedin, Twitter and Facebook profiles up there...and hopefully this blog will be next. In fact, Fred also comments that they "have hired all of our junior investment professionals largely on the basis of their blogs, not their resumes or linkedin profiles", which is quite impressive.


I feel like I am on the right track.

1 comment:

  1. Very nice. I bookmarked and will return. I read Fred Wilson daily, and I agreed with many of his online branding points. So far I'm not doing as well, though.

    --Zach from NYU

    BTW, do you have any contacts in LA in VC/PE?

    ReplyDelete