May 30, 2010

The essence of basketball


Yesterday the Lakers beat the Suns in the 6th game of the NBA's Western Conference Finals. Since the Celtics smashed the Magic in their series, that means that the "final of the finals" is back for the second time in three years.

I have not been very tuned to the NBA this season, mainly because the time difference does not play in my favor (the best way to follow it is by watching games rather than by reading articles and watching the highlights). But now is the time to get back to business.

From a business perspective I am sure that Mr. Stern and the rest of the NBA's management will have a spark in their eyes. No better scenario than a Lakers-Celtics final to gain momentum and to keep on milking the NBA brand around the world (in particular following Lebron's defeat).

I've always been a Laker fan, as far as I can remember. I did love Magic Johnson and that turned me into a Laker fan forever. Needless to say, when Pau Gasol signed for the Lakers such a feeling was re-boosted. On the contrary - and maybe precisely because I am a Laker - I do not like the Celtics at all. Never have and characters such as KG and Paul Pierce are not the kind of guys who will make me think differently.

Let's see how all this plays out. A couple of years ago the Celtics were way stronger and deserved to win. Let's see if Kobe, Pau, Lamar, Ron and the rest of the crew kick ass out there in the coming weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment